All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.17Trending at AU $52.09
- AU $32.78Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $31.97Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
- AU $33.35Trending at AU $36.06
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
About this product
- DescriptionEdgar Degas (1834 1917) was one of the outstanding draftsmen of the nineteenth century, and drawing was t only a central tenet of his art but also essential to his existence. Through an examination of his drawings and pastels, this book reveals the development of Degas s style as well the story of his life, including his complicated relationship with the Impressionists. Following a broadly chrological approach, the author discusses the artist s various subject areas, from the images of dancerswhich form over half of Degas s total oeuvreto nudes, laundresses, milliners, and the less well-kwn racehorse and landscape drawings. He covers the whole career, from when Degas was copying the Old Masters to learn his craft to when he ceased work in 1912 because of failing eyesight, and sets him within the artistic context of the period. Extensive research, including a careful study of the artist s detailed tebooks, has resulted in a comprehensive exposition with, at its heart, over 200 pencil, black-chalk, pen-and-ink, and charcoal drawings and pastels of timeless appeal.
- Author BiographyChristopher Lloyd was surveyor of The Queen s Pictures in the British Royal Collection from 1988 to 2005. He has curated numerous exhibitions worldwide, including Impressionism: Pastels, Watercolors, Drawings at the Milwaukee Art Museum and the Albertina in Vienna (201112). He has published extensively on Western Art and is the author of In Search of a Masterpiece: An Art Lover s Guide to Great Britain & Ireland (Thames & Hudson, 2011).
- Author(s)Christopher Lloyd
- PublisherGetty Trust Publications
- Date of Publication28/05/2014
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationLos Angeles
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGetty Publications
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight666 g
- Width150 mm
- Height250 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.