All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen Edith Wharton became friends with Henry James, she joined a group of men who became her inner circle. This group included both well-kwn figures, such as James, Percy Lubbock, and Bernard Berenson, and several w forgotten, including John Hugh Smith, Walter Berry, Gaillard Lapsley, Robert Norton, and Howard Sturgis. Drawing on unpublished archival material by and about members of the circle, Susan Goodman here presents an intimate view of this American expatriate community, as well as the larger transatlantic culture it mirrored. She explores how the group, which began forming around 1904 and lasted until Wharton's death in 1937, defined itself against the society its founders had left in the United States, while simultaneously criticizing and accommodating the one it found in Europe. Tracing Wharton's individual relationships with these men and their relationships with one ather, she examines literary kinships and movements in the biographical and feminist context of gender, exile, and aesthetics. She also relates the group to other literary circles, such as the Bloomsbury group and Gertrude Stein's salon.
- Author BiographySusan Goodman is H. Fletcher Brown Chair of Humanities and Professor of English at the University of Delaware.
- Author(s)Susan Goodman
- PublisherUniversity of Texas Press
- Date of Publication15/01/2011
- SubjectBiography: Literary
- Series TitleLiterary Modernism Series
- Place of PublicationAustin, TX
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Texas Press
- Content Note15 b&w illus.
- Weight624 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.77New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.64
- AU $60.91Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $32.52Trending at AU $33.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.