All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTop sushi master Kikuo Shimizu, w 71 years old, reveals the secrets of Edomae sushi, the traditional sushi of Tokyo. By reading this book, you'll learn how real sushi in Tokyo is made, by an artisan sushi chef. Edomae literally means in front of Edo, the old name of Japan's capital city: so you could translate it as Tokyo-Style. In 19th-century Edo, as busy and bustling as today's Tokyo, workers needed quick meals, and sushi made from vinegar-seasoned fish and rice was nutritious and invigorating. Edomae sushi grew in esteem as a unique cuisine, using freshly-caught fish from Tokyo bay. Today, there are few written materials about true Edomae sushi, but its technique and soul have been passed down from chef to chef, maintaining its tradition while evolving through the decades. This book includes dozens of types of sushi, with large pictures and instructive text on each page, explaining the ingredients and techniques of Edomae sushi. The essential accompaniments of sushi fish - wasabi, ri, and rice - are explained in detail, including how and when they are grown and harvested and how to best prepare them across the four seasons.
- Author BiographyKikuo Shimizu started making sushi at the age of sixteen and has been creating traditional-style sushi for fifty-six years. After a brief apprenticeship, he began working in the fashionable Ginza district of Tokyo under his mentor, Shigezo Fujimoto, the legendary sushi emperor. In 1971, he opened his own restaurant in the city's Akasaka neighborhood. Shimizu is famous for shunning media attention; until this book, the only way to experience his sushi was to try to get a reservation at his 9-seat counter.
- Author(s)Kikuo Shimizu
- PublisherKodansha America, Inc
- Date of Publication31/05/2011
- SubjectNational & Regional Cuisine
- Place of PublicationTokyo
- Country of PublicationJapan
- ImprintKodansha International Ltd
- Content Note1
- Weight582 g
- Width196 mm
- Height257 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $32.77Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.