All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book argues that schools were a driving force in the formation of social, political, and financial capital during the market revolution and capitalist transition of the early republican era. Grounded in an intensive study of schooling in the Genesee Valley region of upstate New York, it traces early sources of funding and support for education (including common schools and various forms of higher schooling) to their roots in different social and ecomic networks and trade and credit relations. It then interprets that story in the context of other major developments in early American social, political, and ecomic history, such as the shift from agricultural to n-agricultural production, the integration of rural ecomies into translocal capitalist markets, the organization of the Second Great Awakening, the transformation of patriarchy, the expansion of white male suffrage, the emergence of the Secondary American Party System, and the formation of the modern liberal state.
- Author BiographyNancy Beadie is a professor and historian of education in the area of educational leadership and policy studies at the University of Washington, Seattle. She is a co-editor of Chartered Schools: Two Hundred Years of Independent Academies, 1727-1925 (2002). She has twice received the History of Education Society's prize for best article published in a refereed journal, and her articles have appeared in numerous journals, including Social Science History, History of Education Quarterly, History of Education, and Paedagogica Historica.
- Author(s)Nancy Beadie
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication30/07/2010
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note1 b/w illus. 5 maps 8 tables
- Weight650 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.99Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.