All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.57
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.75
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.40
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
About this product
- DescriptionThe first major battle over school choice came out of struggles over equalizing and integrating schools in the civil rights era, when it became apparent that choice could be either a serious barrier or a significant tool for reaching these goals. The second large and continuing movement for choice was part of the very different anti-government, individualistic, market-based movement of a more conservative period in which many of the lessons of that earlier period were forgotten, though choice was once again presented as the answer to racial inequality. This book brings civil rights back into the center of the debate and tries to move from doctrine to empirical research in exploring the many forms of choice and their very different consequences for equity in U.S. schools. Leading researchers conclude that although helping mirity children remains a central justification for choice proponents, igring the essential civil rights dimensions of choice plans risks compounding rather than remedying racial inequality.
- Author BiographyGary Orfield is Professor of Education, Law, Political Science and Urban Planning at UCLA. He co-founded and directed The Harvard Civil Rights and has brought this project to UCLA. Orfield is a leader in the field of civil rights, education policy, urban policy and minority opportunity. Erica Frankenberg is an assistant professor in the Department of Education Policy Studies at Pennsylvania State University and formerly worked at the Civil Rights Project. She is the co-editor of several recent books on K-12 school integration policies.
- Author(s)Erica Frankenberg,Gary Orfield
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication05/03/2013
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Note9 line illustrations, 11 tables
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.