All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEdusemiotics addresses an emerging field of inquiry, educational semiotics, as a philosophy of and for education. Using sign as a unit of analysis, educational semiotics amalgamates philosophy, educational theory and semiotics. Edusemiotics draws on the intellectual legacy of such philosophers as John Dewey, Charles Sanders Peirce, Gilles Deleuze and others across Anglo-American and continental traditions. This volume investigates the specifics of semiotic kwledge structures and processes, exploring current dilemmas and debates regarding self-identity, learning, transformative and lifelong education, leadership and policy-making, and interrogating an important premise that still haunts contemporary educational philosophy: Cartesian dualism. In defiance of substance dualism and the fragmentation of kwledge that still inform education, the book offers a unifying paradigm for education as edusemiotics and emphasises ethical education in compliance with the semiotic unity between kwledge and action. Chapters contain accessible discussions in the context of educational philosophy and theory, crossing the borders between logic, art, and science together with a provocative theoretical critique. Recently awarded a PESA book award for its contribution to the philosophy of education, Edusemiotics will appeal to an academic readership in education, philosophy and cultural studies, while also being an inspiring resource for students.
- Author BiographyAndrew Stables is Professor of Education and Philosophy and Head of Research in the School of Education, University of Roehampton, UK. Inna Semetsky is Adjunct Professor at the Centre for Global Studies in Education, University of Waikato, New Zealand, and Professor at Russian New University (RosNOU), Moscow, Russia.
- Author(s)Andrew Stables,Inna Semetsky
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication09/10/2014
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleNew Directions in the Philosophy of Education
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note7 black & white illustrations, 1 black & white tables, 3 black & white halftones, 4 black & white line drawings
- Weight385 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $22.63Trending at AU $23.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.