All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEdward II (1284-1327), King of England, Lord of Ireland, and Duke of Aquitaine, was the object of igminy during his lifetime and calumny since it. Conventionally viewed as worthless, incapable of sustained policy, and significant only for his sporadic displays of ill-directed energy or a stubborn adherence to greedy and ambitious favourites, he has been presented as fit only to be deposed and replaced by someone more worthy of the throne. This definitive biography, the fruit of a lifetime's study, does t present Edward II as a heroic or successful king: his deposition after a turbulent reign of nearly twenty years is proof eugh that it went terribly wrong. But Seymour Phillips' scrutiny of the multitude of available sources shows that a richer picture emerges, in line with the complexity of events and of the man himself. If Edward II was t a successful king, he was t fundamentally different in many ways from most English monarchs. The biography strikes a deft balance, taking full account of the problems the king faced in England, Scotland, and Ireland and in his relations with France.It also tackles the contentious issue of whether Edward II did t die in 1327, murdered under barbaric circumstances, but lived on as a captive in England and then a wanderer on the Continent. Eight hundred years on, a king's life is properly examined.
- Author BiographySeymour Phillips is emeritus professor of medieval history, University College, Dublin, and a Member of the Royal Irish Academy.
- Author(s)Seymour Phillips
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication14/10/2011
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Series TitleThe Yale English Monarchs Series
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note20 black-&-white illustrations
- Weight1089 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine53 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $74.74
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.46
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.65
- AU $12.94Trending at AU $16.44
- AU $26.68Trending at AU $29.36
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.