All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionElear of Aquitaine was the wife of two kings, Louis VII of France and Henry II Plantagenet of England, and the mother of two others, Richard the Lionhearted and John Lackland. In her eventful, often stormy life, she t only influenced the course of events in the twelfth century but also encouraged remarkable advances in the literary and fine arts. In this book, experts in five disciplines-history, art history, music, French and English literature-evaluate the influence of Elear and her court on history and the arts. Elizabeth A. R. Brown views Elear as having played a significant role as parent and politician, but t as patron. Rebecca A. Baltzer takes a new look at the music of the period that was written by and for Elear, her court, and her family. Moshe Lazar reexamines her relationship to the courtly-love literature of the period. Elear S. Greenhill and Larry M. Ayres reassess her influence in the realm of art history. Rossell Hope Robbins traces the lines extending from the French courtly literature of Elear's period down into fourteenth-century Chaucerian England. The essays reflect divergent but generally complementary assessments of this remarkable woman's influence on her own era and on future times as well. This volume is the result of a symposium held at the University of Texas in 1973.
- Author BiographyWilliam W. Kibler is the Superior Oil-Linward Shivers Centennial Professor of Medieval Studies at the University of Texas at Austin.
- PublisherUniversity of Texas Press
- Date of Publication01/03/2012
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleSymposia in the Arts and the Humanities
- Place of PublicationAustin, TX
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Texas Press
- Content Note18 b&w illus.
- Weight299 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Edited byWilliam W. Kibler
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $43.76
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.25
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.