All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe authors of this book present a thorough discussion of the optical properties of solids, with a focus on electron states and their response to electrodynamic fields. A review of the fundamental aspects of the propagation of electromagnetic fields, and their interaction with condensed matter, is given. This is followed by a discussion of the optical properties of metals, semiconductors, and collective states of solids such as superconductors. Theoretical concepts, measurement techniques and experimental results are covered in three interrelated sections. Well-established, mature fields are discussed (for example, classical metals and semiconductors) together with modern topics at the focus of current interest. The substantial reference list included will also prove to be a valuable resource for those interested in the electronic properties of solids. The book is intended for use by advanced undergraduate and graduate students, and researchers active in the fields of condensed matter physics, materials science and optical engineering.
- Author BiographyMartin Dressel received his Doctor of Sciences degree in 1989 from the Universitat Gottingen where he subsequently worked as a postdoctoral research fellow. Since then he has held positions in the University of British Columbia at Vancouver, the University of California, Los Angeles, the Technische Universitat, Darmstadt, and the Center of Electronic Correlations and Magnetism at the Universitat Augsburg. Professor Dressel is now Head of the Physikalisches Institut at the Universitat Stuttgart. George Gruner obtained his Doctor of Sciences degree from the Eotvos Lorand University, Budapest, in 1972 and became Head of the the Central Research Institute of Physics in Budapest in 1974. In 1980 he took up the position of Professor of Physics at the University of California, Los Angeles, and later became Director of the Solid State Science Center there. Professor Gruner has been a distinguished visiting professor at numerous institutions worldwide and is a consultant for several international corporations and advisory panels. He is a Guggenheim Fellow and is also a recipient of the Alexander Humboldt Senior American Scientist Award.
- Author(s)George Gruner,Martin Dressel
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication17/01/2002
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note159 b/w illus.
- Weight970 g
- Width174 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine27 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $43.86
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.