All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis self-contained and accessible book provides a thorough introduction to the basic physical and mathematical principles required in studying the scattering and absorption of light and other electromagnetic radiation by particles and particle groups. For the first time the theories of electromagnetic scattering, radiative transfer, and weak localization are combined into a unified, consistent branch of physical optics directly based on the Maxwell equations. A particular focus is given to key aspects such as time and ensemble averaging at different scales, ergodicity, and the physical nature of measurements afforded by actual photopolarimeters. Featuring over 120 end-of-chapter exercises, with hints and solutions provided, this clear, one-stop resource is ideal for self-study or classroom use, and will be invaluable to both graduate students and researchers in remote sensing, physical and biomedical optics, optical communications, optical particle characterization, atmospheric physics and astrophysics.
- Author BiographyMichael I. Mishchenko is a Senior Scientist at the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies in New York. He has published widely on electromagnetic scattering and remote sensing, including editing three contributory monographs, and is the first author of three books (including Multiple Scattering of Light by Particles, with Larry Travis and Andrew Lacis, Cambridge University Press, 2006). In other publishing work, he has been Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer and served previously as Topical Editor of Applied Optics. Dr Mishchenko is an elected Fellow of four major professional societies and has received many professional awards, including the Henry G. Houghton Award from the American Meteorological Society, two NASA Medals for Exceptional Scientific Achievement, and the Hendrik C. van de Hulst Award from Elsevier.
- Author(s)Michael I. Mishchenko
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication24/04/2014
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note125 b/w illus. 18 colour illus. 3 tables 100 exercises
- Weight1080 g
- Width174 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $179.93New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $22.66Trending at AU $23.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.