Electronic Literature: New Horizons for the Literary by N. Katherine Hayles (Mixed media product, 2008)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $38.30Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $24.23+ AU $25.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA visible presence for some two decades, electronic literature has already produced many works that deserve the rigorous scrutiny critics have long practiced with print literature. Only w, however, with Electronic Literature by N. Katherine Hayles, do we have the first systematic survey of the field and an analysis of its importance, breadth, and wide-ranging implications for literary study.Hayles' book is designed to help electronic literature move into the classroom. Her systematic survey of the field addresses its major genres, the challenges it poses to traditional literary theory, and the complex and compelling issues at stake. She develops a theoretical framework for understanding how electronic literature both draws on the print tradition and requires new reading and interpretive strategies. Grounding her approach in the evolutionary dynamic between humans and techlogy, Hayles argues that neither the body r the machine should be given absolute theoretical priority. Rather, she focuses on the interconnections between embodied writers and users and the intelligent machines that perform electronic texts.Through close readings of important works, Hayles demonstrates that a new mode of narration is emerging that differs significantly from previous models. Key to her argument is the observation that almost all contemporary literature has its genesis as electronic files, so that print becomes a specific mode for electronic text rather than an entirely different medium. Hayles illustrates the implications of this condition with three contemporary vels that bear the mark of the digital.Included with the book is a CD, The Electronic Literature Collection, Volume 1 , containing sixty new and recent works of electronic literature with keyword index, authors' tes, and editorial headtes. Representing multiple modalities of electronic writing - hypertext fiction, kinetic poetry, generative and combinatory forms, network writing, codework, 3D, narrative animations, installation pieces, and Flash poetry - the ELC 1 encompasses comparatively low-tech work alongside heavily coded pieces. Complementing the text and the CD-ROM is a website offering resources for teachers and students, including sample syllabi, original essays, author biographies, and useful links. Together, the three elements provide an exceptional pedagogical opportunity.
- Author BiographyN. KATHERINE HAYLES is John Charles Hillis Professor of Literature and Distinguished Professor in the departments of English and Design/Media Arts at the University of California, Los Angeles. * Produced under the aegis of the Electronic Literature Organization, and edited by Hayles, Nick Montfort, Scott Rettberg, and Stephanie Strickland, The Electronic Literature Collection, Volume 1, brings together numerous genres by many of the most innovative writers in the field. The ELC 1 runs cross-platform on Macintosh, PC, or Linux.
- Author(s)N. Katherine Hayles
- PublisherUniversity of Notre Dame Press
- Date of Publication15/04/2008
- FormatMixed media product
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleWard-Phillips Lectures in English Language & Literature
- Place of PublicationNotre Dame IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Notre Dame Press
- Content Note15 colour illustrations
- Weight354 g
- Width151 mm
- Height221 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Contained items statementContains Paperback and CD-ROM
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.20Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.