All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionElectrophysiological methods are used at nearly all levels of biological research today. From basic science investigation to bringing new drugs to market, electrophysiology is an indispensable research technique that provides essential insights into cellular and molecular functions. This work is intended to be a practical guide for understanding and using contemporary electrophysiological manipulations and assays in brain research. New researchers attempting to learn electrophysiological techniques are confronted with a lack of adequate guiding resources. Currently, most electrophysiology-based research kwledge is passed on by experienced individuals to others within the same laboratory. But, this master-apprentice scenario has many inherent difficulties, as it is both a time intensive process and also leads to incomplete kwledge transfer, or even superstitious and maladaptive practices. Few external guiding resources exist for a budding researcher who wishes to gain the skills necessary to conduct responsible and competent electrophysiology research. Dr. Yan Dong, an expert in utilizing electrophysiological techniques for brain research with fifteen years of experience, and Peter Neumann hope this work can act as a concise and practical aid to remedy the current situation. This book will cover both basic methods and advanced techniques clearly and in depth, as well as the essential background and theory necessary to understand the methods. Additionally, this book also covers conventional and contemporary patch-clamp methods, experimental design, data collection and analysis, common pitfalls to avoid, important nuances, technical concerns, practical applications, and advice for teaching new researchers. Together, this represents a contemporary best-practices guide for collecting and interpreting electrophysiological data for brain research.
- Author BiographyNicholas M. Graziane, Ph.D. Dr. Graziane obtained his Ph.D. from The State University of New York at Buffalo, and did his first postdoctoral training at Brown University before joining Dr. Dong's laboratory at University of Pittsburgh. He is a well-published electrophysiologist interested in neurocircuits implicated in psychiatric disease with a focus on the electrical properties of the neurons residing within these neurocircuits. His research interests have contributed to Dr. Graziane's 10+ years of experience as an electrophysiologist and have enabled him to successfully train many undergraduate students, graduate students, and junior postdoctoral fellows who have been interested in beginning a career in electrophysiology. Currently, Dr. Graziane's research focuses on synaptic and circuitry mechanisms underlying psychiatric and psychological disorders. He is funded through a National Research Scholar Award (NIH). Yan Dong, Ph.D. Dr. Dong became interested in brain function when he was in high school and started his electrophysiological training during college. He received his Ph.D. from the Chicago Medical School, and did his postdoctoral training at Stanford University. He established and supervised his first independent laboratory at Merck and Co. from 2004 to 2006 as a senior scientist. He then joined Washington State University as an assistant professor in the Program of Neuroscience. In 2012, he joined University of Pittsburgh, and is curr ently an associate professor in the Department of Neuroscience. His research focuses on synaptic and circuitry mechanisms underlying psychiatric and psychological disorders. His research has been supported by National Institutes of Health (US), Hope Foundation for Depression Research (US), and Humboldt Stiftung (Germany).
- Author(s)Nicholas Graziane,Yan Dong
- PublisherHumana Press Inc.
- Date of Publication16/12/2015
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Series TitleNeuromethods
- Series Part/Volume Number112
- Place of PublicationTotowa, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHumana Press Inc.
- Content Note43 black & white illustrations, 46 colour illustrations, 15 black & white tables, biography
- Weight717 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $190.23New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.99New
- AU $61.14Used
- AU $93.21New
- AU $101.29New
- AU $70.76New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.85
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.82
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.30
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $50.15
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $73.99
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.