Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $26.57Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.90
About this product
- DescriptionThe link between the physical world and its visualization is geometry. This easy-to-read, generously illustrated textbook presents an elementary introduction to differential geometry with emphasis on geometric results. Avoiding formalism as much as possible, the author harnesses basic mathematical skills in analysis and linear algebra to solve interesting geometric problems, which prepare students for more advanced study in mathematics and other scientific fields such as physics and computer science. The wide range of topics includes curve theory, a detailed study of surfaces, curvature, variation of area and minimal surfaces, geodesics, spherical and hyperbolic geometry, the divergence theorem, triangulations, and the Gauss-Bonnet theorem. The section on cartography demonstrates the concrete importance of elementary differential geometry in applications. Clearly developed arguments and proofs, colour illustrations, and over 100 exercises and solutions make this book ideal for courses and self-study. The only prerequisites are one year of undergraduate calculus and linear algebra.
- Author BiographyChristian Bar is Professor of Geometry in the Institute for Mathematics at the University of Potsdam, Germany.
- Author(s)Christian Bar
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication06/05/2010
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note147 b/w illus. 4 colour illus. 125 exercises
- Weight670 g
- Width174 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.