All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book would be a great tool for helping [today's future elementary teachers] acquire a 'gut level' understanding of mathematics concepts. - Hester Lewellen, Baldwin-Wallace College, OH The writing in this text is very clear and would easily be understood by the intended audience. The real-world examples put the various math concepts into a context that is easily understood. The vignettes at the beginning of each chapter are interesting and they get the reader to begin thinking about the math concepts that will follow. Each of the chapters seem to build on one ather and the author often refers back to activities and concepts from previous chapters which is meaningful to the reader because it lets the reader kw that the information they are learning builds their conceptual understanding of other mathematical concepts. - Melany L. Rish, University of South Carolina, Aiken Organized around five key concepts or powerful ideas in mathematics, this book presents elementary mathematics content in a concise and nthreatening manner for teachers. Designed to sharpen teachers' mathematics pedagogical content kwledge, the friendly writing style and vignettes relate math concepts to real life situations so that they may better present the content to their students. The five powerful ideas (composition, decomposition, relationships, representation, and context) provide an organizing framework and highlight the interconnections between mathematics topics. In addition, the book thoroughly integrates discussion of the five NCTM process strands. Features: * Icons highlighting the NCTM process standards appear throughout the book to indicate where the text relates to each of these.*Practice exercises and activities and their explanations reinforce math concepts presented in the book and provide an opportunity for reflection and practice.*Concise, conversational chapters and opening vignettes present math contents simply eugh for even the most math-anxious pre-service teachers.
- Author BiographyJames Schwartz is currently an Associate Professor of Education at Ralph C. Wilson School of Education, St. John Fisher College. He has a rich experience as both an elementary teacher and teacher-educator. James has contributed to various texts including Essentials of Educational Technology 1/e, (Allyn and Bacon, 1999); Essentials of Elementary Mathematics 2/e, (Allyn and Bacon, 1999); and Teaching Elementary School Mathematics 6/e, (Allyn and Bacon, 1996).
- Author(s)James E. Schwartz
- PublisherPearson Education (US)
- Date of Publication29/05/2007
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationOld Tappan
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAllyn & Bacon
- Out-of-print date08/09/2014
- Weight735 g
- Width216 mm
- Height276 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.66
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.26
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.39
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.74
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $99.57
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $112.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.