All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDifferent ethical systems are analyzed as growing out of different ideas concerning the basic character of reality. An introduction discusses ethics as one of the traditional main divisions of philosophy. An opening chapter looks at ethical experience as based on awareness of real life in the real world. Five more chapters trace developments through history. Plato answered challenges and analyzed what the universe must be in order for intellectual awareness of reality to be possible. Aristotle's ethical system was based on fulfilling oneself as a concrete being. Thomas Aquinas synthesized the best contributions of Plato and Aristotle by speaking of God the Absolute as the Creator. Kant and Mill explored ethical experience and left aside deep questions as far as possible. Sartre and Ayer challenged this whole tradition of ethics. An interlude on modern feminism examines challenges to entrenched ideas. Following this interlude are three chapters of applications to five of the great public controversies of the day (homosexuality, surrogate motherhood, abortion, euthanasia, and death penalty). The book concludes with a further treatment of ethical experience as based on real life.
- Author BiographyThe author has the BA in philosophy from Oakland University, the MA from the University of Arizona, and the PhD from Wayne State University. Over the years, he has taught courses in ethics at Macomb Community College, Central Michigan University, and Wayne County Community College, as well as other courses at those institutions and others. He has also written the preface for a book on ethics by another author. But his greater love is for metaphysics and history. He has been published in print on metaphysical concerns, specifically on the problem of mind and body and on Aristotelian essentialism. On the Internet, the author has a Web page on the Second Way of Aquinas, hosted on the Web site belonging to another. He has also posted two essays on the interpretation of quantum physics (at www.quantumrealism.net).
- Author(s)David McGraw
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication06/06/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistory of Ideas & Popular Philosophy
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight240 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.