All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis work renews the basic questions and principles of philosophical ethics and provides a thorough account of how being oneself presupposes freedom and responsibility. Elements of Ethics focuses on the descriptive and conceptual analysis of the experiences through which human lives become aware of themselves and shows how we are provoked to respond appropriately to the various dimensions and phemena of the universe. Operating on the provocative thesis that if the ethical is real, it cant be proved, because it is either thing at all or an irreducible origin, this book pursues the question that defines ethics: How should I live? After setting out a preliminary definition of terms, Elements of Ethics gives insight into the relation of human individuals and the world by showing that the traditional separation between is and ought overlooks their profound coincidence, and by clarifying the determining, though often overlooked, role of affectivity and katharsis in all ethical experiences.
- Author BiographyAdriaan T. Peperzak is Arthur J. Schmitt Professor in Philosophy at Loyola University, Chicago. He is the author or editor of over thirty books in five languages.
- Author(s)Adriaan Theodoor Peperzak
- PublisherStanford University Press
- Date of Publication25/09/2003
- Place of PublicationPalo Alto
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintStanford University Press
- Content Notereferences, index
- Weight426 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.99
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.