All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book uses history in two ways: as the source of ideas about strategy and as examples to illustrate the elements by showing their application to specific campaigns and their utility in understanding the role of strategy in military operations. The focus is on American military campaigns from the American Indian Wars to the War in the Gulf. Those case studies are used to illustrate the strategy behind land, sea, and air campaigns. Over a fifth of the book examines the U.S. war against Japan because it furnishes such fine examples of independent and interdependent operations on land, on the sea, and in the air. The cases studied are t only intended to illustrate strategic ideas but also to show the utility of the author's distinctive approach to organizing military strategy. The book will appeal to military professionals, students of military science, and enthusiasts.
- Author BiographyARCHER JONES is Professor Emeritus of History and a former dean at North Dakota State University. He is the author of Confederate Strategy from Shiloh to Vicksburg (1961), The Art of War in the Western World (1987), and Civil War Command and Strategy (1992) and joint author of Politics of Command, Factions and Ideas in Confederate Strategy (1973), How the North Won: A Military History of the Civil War (1983), and Why the South Lost the Civil War (1986). He has served as Morrison Professor of History at the U. S. Army Command and General Staff College, member of the Department of the Army Historical Advisory Committee, and trustee of the American Military Institute.
- Author(s)Archer Jones
- Date of Publication30/09/1996
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPraeger Publishers Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight408 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $89.84
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $34.84
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.37
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.59
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.01
- AU $40.67Trending at AU $41.16
- AU $36.57Trending at AU $37.10
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.