All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA young girl learns a new meaning for freedom during the time of Reconstruction Ellen always knew the broom resting above the hearth was special. Before it was legal for her mother and father to officially be married, the broom was what made them a family anyway. But w all former slaves who had already been married in their hearts could register as lawful husband and wife. When Ellen and her family make the long trip to the courthouse dressed in their best, she brings the broom her parents had jumped so many years before. Even though freedom has come, Ellen kws the old traditions are important too. After Mama and Papa's names are recorded in the register, Ellen nearly bursts with pride as her parents jump the broom once again. Ellen is a wonderfully endearing character whose love for her family is brought to life in Daniel Minter's rich and eye-catching block print illustrations.
- Author BiographyKelly Starling Lyons (www.kellystarlinglyons.com) lives in Raleigh, North Carolina. Daniel Minter (www.danielminter.com) lives in Portland, Maine.
- Author(s)Kelly Starling Lyons
- PublisherG.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers
- Date of Publication05/01/2012
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Series TitleCoretta Scott King Honor - Illustrator Honor Title
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintG.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight386 g
- Width224 mm
- Height269 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsPicture book,Sewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $23.49Trending at AU $29.23
- AU $26.50Trending at AU $33.19
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $49.48
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $43.81
- AU $31.94Trending at AU $38.51
- AU $19.13Trending at AU $19.55
- AU $14.45Trending at AU $15.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.