All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
About this product
- DescriptionHumans' first attempts to record their thoughts resulted in images painted in the decorated caves throughout Europe, kwn as Upper Paleolithic Art. As humans developed written alphabets to record their thoughts in words, the images they painted and the words they wrote competed for attention. As the Sister Arts tradition attests, words and pictures have developed along distinct, though related, lines. With the rise of New Media, however, the invative inter-animation of words and pictures in the screen space of the computer deserves - and requires - artists and designers and rhetoricians to take a fresh look at the complexities of human communication, particularly the way in which words and pictures share commonalities. The range of image-texts, from cave to computer, from palimpsests to pixels, demands critical attention from modern designers who create invative image-texts for New Media. Eloquent Design: Essays on the Rhetorics of Vision explores ancient image-making as a basis for understanding the modern uses of image-texts in New Media. Eloquent Design also considers the current state of imaginative design from the Sister Arts tradition to Gestalt theories of vision to social semiotics of image-texts. Moreover, Eloquent Design proposes a generative method for creating image-texts, a technique called Rhetorical Vision. Applications of the generative mode of Rhetorical Vision give rise to the invative designs of palimpsests and experimental modes of writing, such as creative nfiction. Essays in Eloquent Design outline a method for teaching Rhetorical Vision as the inter-animation of words and pictures.
- Author BiographyDr Lisa A. Baird is Assistant Professor of English at Flagler College, St. Augustine, Florida. Her teaching is informed by her focus on the confluence of verbal and visual texts, and she is particularly interested in the critical study of the inter-animation of verbal and visual modes of communication, especially those in New Media. Eloquent Design: Essays on the Rhetorics of Vision is the result of a study of her extensive research into the inter-animation of stories and pictures.
- Author(s)Lisa A. Baird
- PublisherCambridge Scholars Publishing
- Date of Publication28/05/2015
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Place of PublicationNewcastle upon Tyne
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge Scholars Publishing
- Width148 mm
- Height212 mm
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
- Edition Statement1st Unabridged
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.