All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Union army's overwhelming vote for Abraham Lincoln's reelection in 1864 has led many Civil War scholars to conclude that the soldiers supported the Republican Party and its effort to abolish slavery. In Emancipation, the Union Army, and the Reelection of Abraham Lincoln Jonathan W. White challenges this reigning paradigm in Civil War historiography, arguing instead that the soldier vote in the presidential election of 1864 is t a reliable index of the army's ideological motivation or political sentiment. Although 78 percent of the soldiers' votes were cast for Lincoln, White contends that this was t wholly due to a political or social conversion to the Republican Party. Rather, he argues, historians have igred mitigating factors such as voter turut, intimidation at the polls, and how soldiers voted in npresidential elections in 1864.While recognizing that many soldiers changed their views on slavery and emancipation during the war, White suggests that a considerable number still rejected the Republican platform, and that many who voted for Lincoln disagreed with his views on slavery. He likewise explains that many rtherners considered a vote for the Democratic ticket as treasous and an admission of defeat.Using previously untapped court-martial records from the National Archives, as well as manuscript collections from across the country, White convincingly revises many commonly held assumptions about the Civil War era and provides a deeper understanding of the Union Army.
- Author BiographyJONATHAN W. WHITE is assistant professor of American Studies at Christopher Newport University and the author of Abraham Lincoln and Treason in the Civil War: The Trials of John Merryman.
- Author(s)Jonathan W White
- PublisherLouisiana State University Press
- Date of Publication09/06/2014
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleConflicting Worlds: New Dimensions of the American Civil War
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLouisiana State University Press
- Weight567 g
- Width160 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.