Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.75Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the unlikely history of a centuries old church located at the heart of England's capital city. Founded in the early-18th century by a Greek Archbishop from Alexandria in Egypt, the church was aided by the nascent Russian Empire of Tsar Peter the Great and joined by Englishmen finding in it the Apostolic faith. The church later became a spiritual home for those who escaped the upheavals following World War II or who sought ecomic opportunities in the West after the fall of communism in Russia. For much of this time the parish was a focal point for Anglican-Orthodox relations and Orthodox missionary endeavours from Japan to the Americas. This is a history of the Orthodox Church in the West, of the Russian emigration to Europe, and of major world events through the prism of a particular local community. The book calls on stories from an array of persons, from archbishops to members of Parliament and imperial diplomats to post-war refugees. Their lives and the constantly changing mosaic of global political and ecomic realities provide the background for the struggle to create and sustain the London church through time.
- Author BiographyChristopher Birchall is a deacon in the Russian Orthodox Church. He has previously published two translations from Russian. He lives in Vancouver, Canada.
- Author(s)Christopher Birchall
- PublisherHoly Trinity Publications
- Date of Publication30/11/2014
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationJordanville
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHoly Trinity Publications
- Weight1320 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine53 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.