All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHermann Broch wrote two of the most significant vels of German modernism, The Sleepwalkers and The Death of Virgil, which established his importance to German literature. His writings on democracy, mass delusion and internationalism are more obscure. Embracing Democracy examines the central political, social and psychological tenets of Broch's concept of total democracy as an expression of the synthesis of his European intellectual development - his Viennese Bildung - and his new position as an exile from fascism. This book chronicles Broch's experiences from the founding of the Austrian First Republic to his exile in the United States (1918 to 1951). The author traces two seemingly contradictory narratives in Broch's political consciousness. On the one hand, Broch held an intellectual position in his post-exile political theory that was consistent with the philosophy of history, psychology and epistemology of his Viennese milieu. On the other hand, he significantly reconceived the utility of politics for his theory of value construction, while also becoming more involved in political activism. This book provides new perspectives on the work of Hermann Broch beyond his literary oeuvre and offers insights into the development of political theory among exiled European intellectuals in the United States.
- Author BiographyDonald L. Wallace is Assistant Professor of History at the United States Naval Academy. He is an intellectual historian of Central Europe with a special interest in European intellectual immigration to the United States in the twentieth century.
- Author(s)Donald L. Wallace
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication16/09/2014
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleGerman Life & Civilization
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2014
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Weight400 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.02Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.