All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhile a growing number of popular and scholarly works focus on Asian Americans, most are devoted to the experiences of larger groups such as Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Filipi, and Indian Americans. As the field grows, there is a pressing need to understand the smaller and more recent immigrant communities. Emerging Voices fills this gap with its unique and compelling discussion of underrepresented groups, including Burmese, Indonesian, Mong, Hmong, Nepalese, Romani, Tibetan, and Thai Americans.Unlike the earlier and larger groups of Asian immigrants to America, many of whom made the choice to emigrate to seek better ecomic opportunities, many of the groups discussed in this volume fled war or political persecution in their homeland. Forced to make drastic transitions in America with little physical or psychological preparation, questions of why am I here, who am I, and why am I discriminated against, remain at the heart of their post-emigration experiences.Bringing together eminent scholars from a variety of disciplines, this collection considers a wide range of themes, including assimilation and adaptation, immigration patterns, community, education, ethnicity, ecomics, family, gender, marriage, religion, sexuality, and work.
- Author BiographyHuping Ling is a professor of history at Truman State University and the author of Chinese St. Louis: From Enclave to Cultural Community.
- PublisherRutgers University Press
- Date of Publication15/01/2009
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew Brunswick, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRutgers University Press
- Weight376 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byHuping Ling
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.99
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.