All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the definitive biography of Emile Cohl (1857-1938), one of the most important pioneers of the art of the animated cartoon and an invative contributor to popular graphic humor at a critical moment when it changed from traditional caricature to the modern comic strip. This profusely illustrated book provides t only a wealth of information on Cohl's life but also an analysis of his contribution to the development of the animation film in both France and the United States and an interpretation of how the new genre fit into the historical shift from a primitive to a classical cinema. Beautiful in look and design, with stunning reproductions from films and newspapers, Emile Cohl, Caricature, and Film offers a biography of a figure who virtually created the European art of animation...In its theory and history, the book is one of the most important contributions to [the field of animated film]. But [it] is central for film study per se, offering a fresh, exciting look at the complicated world of early cinema. --Dana Polan, Film Quarterly Originally published in 1990. The Princeton Legacy Library uses the latest print-on-demand techlogy to again make available previously out-of-print books from the distinguished backlist of Princeton University Press. These editions preserve the original texts of these important books while presenting them in durable paperback and hardcover editions. The goal of the Princeton Legacy Library is to vastly increase access to the rich scholarly heritage found in the thousands of books published by Princeton University Press since its founding in 1905.
- PrizesShortlisted for Choice Magazine Outstanding Reference/Academic Book Award 1991.
- Author(s)Donald Crafton
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication17/01/2017
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Series TitlePrinceton Legacy Library
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1990
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight1085 g
- Width203 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine24 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.