Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $47.85Trending at AU $48.79
- AU $32.52Trending at AU $40.62
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $26.56Trending at AU $29.34
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a revised and translated edition of Gilbert Dagron's Empereur et pretre, an ackwledged masterwork by one of the great Byzantine scholars of our time. The figure of the Byzantine emperor, a ruler who sometimes was also designated a priest, has long fascinated the western imagination. This book studies in detail the imperial union of 'two powers', temporal and spiritual, against a wide background of relations between Church and state and religious and political spheres. Presenting much unfamiliar material in complex, brilliant style, it is aimed at all historians concerned with royal and ecclesiastical sources of power.
- Author BiographyGilbert Dagron is Professor Emeritus of Byzantine History and Civilisation at the College de France and Honorary President of the International Committee on Byzantine Studies.
- Author(s)Professor Gilbert Dagron
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication16/10/2003
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitlePast and Present Publications
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note10 b/w illus.
- Weight690 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Translated byJean Birrell
- Series Edited byLyndal Roper
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.