Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $30.69Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $7.00+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the international bestseller Roma, Steven Saylor told the story of the first thousand years of Rome by following the descendants of a single bloodline. Now, in Empire, Saylor charts the destinies of five more generations of the Pinarius family, from the reign of the first emperor, Augustus, to the glorious height of Rome's empire under Hadrian. Through the eyes of the Pinarii, we witness the machinations of Tiberius, the madness of Caligula, the cruel escapades of Nero, and the chaos of the Year of Four Emperors in 69 A.D. The deadly paraia of Domitian is followed by the Golden Age of Trajan and Hadrian-but even the most enlightened emperors wield the power to inflict death and destruction on a whim. Empire is strewn with spectacular scenes, including the Great Fire of 64 A.D. that ravaged the city, Nero's terrifying persecution of the Christians, and the mind-blowing opening games of the Colosseum. But at the vel's heart are the wrenching choices and seductive temptations faced by each new generation of the Pinarii. One unwittingly becomes the sexual plaything of the torious Messalina. One enters into a clandestine affair with a Vestal virgin. One falls under the charismatic spell of Nero, while ather is drawn into the strange new cult of those who deny the gods and call themselves Christians. However diverse their destinies and desires, all the Pinarii are united by one thing: the mysterious golden talisman called the fascinum handed down from a time before Rome existed. As it passes from generation to generation, the fascinum seems to exercise a power t only over those who wear it, but over the very fate of the empire. Praise for Steven Saylor: 'Saylor expertly weaves the true history of Rome with the lives and loves of its fictional citizens.' Daily Express 'Saylor's scholarship is breathtaking and his writing enthrals' Ruth Rendell 'With the scalpel-like deftness of a Hollywood director, Saylor puts his finger on the very essence of Roman history.' Times Literary Supplement 'Readers will find his work wonderfully (and gracefully) researched...this is entertainment of the first order.' Washington Post
- Author BiographySteven Saylor is the author of the popular and acclaimed historical mystery novels set in ancient Rome, the Roma sub Rosa series featuring Gordianus the Finder. His work has been widely praised for its remarkable accuracy and vivid historical detail as well as for its passion, mystery and intrigue. Steven divides his time between Berkley, California and Austin, Texas.
- Author(s)Steven Saylor
- PublisherLittle, Brown Book Group
- Date of Publication30/09/2010
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight938 g
- Width160 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine48 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $19.66
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.14
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.02
- AU $19.99Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.07
- AU $47.56Trending at AU $49.54
- AU $20.51Trending at AU $24.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.