Brand newLOWEST PRICE
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEmpire Falls, Maine: once a thriving hub of industry, this small town nestles in a bend of the vast and winding Kx River, and has always been the empire of the wealthy Whiting family. Now the last Mrs Whiting presides like a black widow spider over its declining fortunes. She harbours a grudge against her employee Miles Groby, who runs the Whiting-owned Empire Grill, but hopes one day to own it himself. Miles, gentle and hopeless, has other problems: his wife has run off with his worst customer, he frets about his adored teenage daughter, and his drunken father sponges off everyone. As the vel builds to a shocking climax, Russo constantly surprises with characters who will disarm you, a plot with as many twists and falls as the Kx River itself, and an ending that will make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck.
- Author BiographyRichard Russo won the 2002 Pulitzer Prize for his fifth novel, Empire Falls. He is also the author of Mohawk, The Risk Pool, Nobody's Fool, Straight Man, Bridge of Sighs and That Old Cape Magic, as well as a collection of stories, The Whore's Child; and a memoir, On Helwig Street. His original screenplay is the basis for Rowan Atkinson's film Keeping Mum. He lives with his wife in Maine.
- PrizesWinner of Pulitzer Prize Novel Category 2002 and Pulitzer Prize for Fiction 2002.
- Author(s)Richard Russo
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication09/05/2002
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight340 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.10
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $60.89
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $78.95
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $27.10
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.63
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.65
- AU $27.03Trending at AU $28.21
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.