All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $30.35Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionIn the century after the French Revolution, the South American outpost of Guiana became a depository for exiles--outcasts of the new French citizenry--and an experimental space for the exercise of new kinds of power and violence against marginal groups. Miranda Spieler chronicles the encounter between colonial officials, planters, and others, ranging from deported political enemies to convicts, ex-convicts, vagabonds, freed slaves, n-European immigrants, and Maroons (descendants of fugitive slaves in the forest). She finds that at a time when France was advocating the revolutionary principles of liberty, equality, and fraternity, Guiana's exiles were stripped of their legal identities and unmade by law, becoming npersons living in limbo. The French Revolution invented the tion of the citizen, but as Spieler shows, it also invented the ncitizen--the person whose rights were nexistent. Empire and Underworld discovers in Guiana's wilderness a haunting prehistory of current moral dilemmas surrounding detainees of indeterminate legal status. Pairing the history of France with that of its underworld and challenging some of the century's most influential theorists from Hannah Arendt to Michel Foucault, Spieler demonstrates how rights of the modern world can mutate into an apparatus of human deprivation.
- Author BiographyMiranda Frances Spieler is Associate Professor of History at the University of Arizona.
- Author(s)Miranda Frances Spieler
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication25/05/2012
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleHarvard Historical Studies
- Series Part/Volume Number174
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Content Note2 maps, 2 tables
- Weight567 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards,With printed dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.