All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.82Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $72.89
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.43
About this product
- DescriptionIn Empire's Crossroads, Carrie Gibson offers readers a vivid, authoritative and action-packed history of the Caribbean. For Gibson, everything was created in the West Indies: the Europe of today, its financial foundations built with sugar money: the factories and mills built as a result of the work of slaves thousands of miles away; the idea of true equality as espoused in Saint Domingue in the 1790s; the slow progress to independence; and even globalization and migration, with the ships passing to and fro taking people and goods in all possible directions, hundreds of years before the term 'globalization' was coined. From Cuba to Haiti, from Dominica to Martinique, from Jamaica to Trinidad, the story of the Caribbean is t simply the story of slaves and masters - but of fortune-seekers and pirates, scientists and servants, travellers and tourists. It is t only a story of imperial expansion - European and American - but of global connections, and also of life as it is lived in the islands, both in the past and today.
- Author BiographyCarrie Gibson completed her doctorate, on the Spanish Caribbean, at the University of Cambridge. She has worked as a journalist for the Guardian and spent many months living in the Caribbean researching in the archives of Cuba, Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republican. She lives in London and Washington D.C. This is her first book.
- Author(s)Carrie Gibson
- PublisherPan Macmillan
- Date of Publication26/03/2015
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPan Books
- Weight370 g
- Width130 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
- Edition StatementMain Market Ed.
- Interest AgeFrom 18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.