All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $72.89
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.43
About this product
- DescriptionThe warlocks and ghosts of fantasy film haunt our popular culture, but the genre has too long been igred by critics. This comprehensive critical survey of fantasy cinema demonstrates that the fantasy genre amounts to more than escapism. Through a meticulously researched analysis of over a century of fantasy pictures - from the seminal work of Georges Melies to Peter Jackson's recent tours of Middle Earth - the work identifies narrative strategies and their recurring components and studies patterns of challenge and return, setting and character. First, addressing the difficult task of defining the genre, the work examines fantasy as a cultural force in both film and literature and explores its relation to science fiction, horror, and fairy tales. Fantasy's development is traced from the first days of film, with emphasis on how the evolving genre reflected such events as ecomic depression and war. Also considered is fantasy's expression of politics, as either the subject of satire or fuel for the fires of propaganda. Discussion ventures into the subgenres, from stories of invented lands inhabited by fantastic creatures to magical adventures set in the familiar world, and addresses clashes between fantasy and faith, such as the religious opposition to the Harry Potter phemen. From the money-making classics to little-kwn arthouse films, this richly illustrated work covers every aspect of fantasy film.
- Author BiographyFreelance writer Alec Worley lives in London, England and writes regularly for cinema magazines in the UK.
- Author(s)Alec Worley
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication31/12/2005
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Content Noteca. 50 photographs, bibliography, index
- Weight694 g
- Width183 mm
- Height260 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.