All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe present volume is a collection of studies devoted to major issues in contemporary syntax and semantics: in particular, argument structure, ellipsis, negation and scope. The papers included, which represent a number of formally rigorous contemporary frameworks, bring out new facts from a large variety of languages as well as vel solutions to a broad range of analytic puzzles. Part One illustrates the major ways in which argument structure is used and conceptualized. Part Two provides new perspectives on ellipsis, applying concepts and tools developed for focus, questions and quantification. Part Three introduces a number of vel proposals for the representation of scope, considerably enlarging the empirical domain of scope relations. These studies are unusual in that they combine an enthusiasm for detailed syntactic and semantic data and a serious concern for formal rigor. They discuss data from a wide variety of languages, including Japanese, Bulgarian, French, Greek, English, Italian, German, Hungarian, Inuit and Western Austronesian languages. The main themes of the book include negation, argument structure, ellipsis, indefinites, telicity, presuppositions, modality and quantification.
- Author BiographyThe Editors: Francis Corblin is Professor of Linguistics at the University of Rennes 2. Daniele Godard and Jean-Marie Marandin are researchers at the University of Paris 7. The editors work in the C.N.R.S. Research Group Laboratoire de linguistique formelle, University of Paris 7.
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/10/1997
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published1997
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight510 g
- Width150 mm
- Height220 mm
- Edited byFrancis Corblin,etc.
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.43Trending at AU $23.89
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $119.81
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.