All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $86.07
- AU $18.54Trending at AU $23.02
- AU $29.00Trending at AU $39.16
About this product
- DescriptionA much-needed examination of the impact on teachers and parents of the effort to improve our schools through restructuring, this book looks at professionalization and parent empowerment programs from the ground level rather than from the large-scale policy level. The editor, active in both policy setting and monitoring implementation, approaches the subject with an overarching view that weaves together a set of diverse case studies that examine some of the most table efforts in this area of school reform. The first section demonstrates the tremendous difficulties involved in attempting to reshape the culture of public school teaching, ting both institutional resistance to change and the personal resistance of the professionals who are, in theory, being empowered through this approach. The second section details the problems of launching parent empowerment opportunities, in a large urban setting, and a contrasting case examines the choice of enrollment option. Here, too, these studies examine the effectiveness of these programs. The conclusion reflects on the opportunities such invations provide for researchers and assesses the importance of such research in shaping the invations themselves through evaluations while they are in process.
- Author BiographyG. ALFRED HESS, JR. is Executive Director of the Chicago Panel on Public School Policy and Finance. One of the principal activists of the school reform effort in Chicago, his organization sponsored one of the three major pieces of legislation that constituted the Chicago School Reform Act and is also the primary independent monitor of the implementation of this act. He is the author of Restructuring Schools: Chicago Style and numerous articles.
- Author(s)G.Alfred Hess
- Date of Publication13/07/1992
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight386 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.