All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLibrary Journal called the earlier version of this work, then titled The Movie List Book , 'the most valuable film reference in several years'. Now, ten years later, it has been completely revamped to include over 670 entries on a variety of film themes, settings and series. Each entry contains a mini-essay that defines the topic, followed by a chrological list of representative films. The entries range from themes (reincarnation, viral epidemics, and twins) to settings (lighthouses, asylums, and sewers), occupations (librarians, lumberjacks, and veterinarians), supernatural and mythological creatures (vampires, mermaids, and gorgons), sports (golf, football, and pool), animals (alligators, dogs, and whales) - and of course hundreds more. The book also contains an extensive list of film characters and series, including: B-movie detectives (Mr. Moto and Philo Vance); Western heroes (The Durango Kid and Red Ryder); made-for-television film series ( Moment of Truth and In the Line of Duty ); and, foreign film good guys (El Santo) and bad guys (Fantomas). Many entries are cross-referenced to direct readers to related topics. From the Abominable Swman to Zorro, this encyclopedia provides film scholars and fans with an easy-to-use reference volume for researching film themes or tracking down obscure movies on subjects such as suspended animation, robots, submarines, ventriloquists, and the Olympics.
- Author BiographyRichard B. Armstrong, in addition to his reference book work, has written for such journals and magazines as Film Quarterly and Filmfax. Mary Willems Armstrong has shown films, reviewed films, and written about film reference books in magazines such as Film Quarterly and Filmfax.
- Author(s)Mary Willems Armstrong,Richard B. Armstrong
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication15/12/2009
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Weight408 g
- Width177 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.