All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1909 Captain John T Walbran published one of the most beloved and enduring of all BC books, British Columbia Coast Names. Harbour Publishing celebrates the hundredth anniversary of that landmark work by presenting the first book to update Walbran's classic, Andrew Scott's Raincoast Place Names . Like its progenitor, this is much more than simply a catalogue of name origins because it tells the often fascinating stories behind the names and in so doing serves as a history of the region in capsule form. It is also a monumental work, twice the size of Walbran's and including more than three times as many places. Four thousand entries consider, in intriguing detail, the stories behind over five thousand place names: how they were discovered, who named them and why, and what the names reveal. It describes the original First Nations cultures, the heroics of the 18th-century explorers and fur traders, the gruelling survey and settlement efforts of the 19th century, the lives of colonial officials, missionaries, gold seekers and homesteaders, and the histories of nearly every important vessel to sail or cruise the coast. The book also examines -- for the first time -- the rich heritage of BC place names added in the 20th century. These new entries reflect the world of the steamship era, the ships and skippers of the Union and Princess lines, the heroes of the two World Wars and the sealing fleet, Esquimalt's naval base and BC's fishing, canning, mining and logging industries. Richly illustrated with photographs and maps, this book is an essential reference work, a must-have guide for boaters and mariners and a standard companion for anyone interested in BC history.
- Author BiographyAndrew Scott is the author of The Promise of Paradise: Utopian Communities in B.C. and Secret Coastline: Journeys Along B.C.'s Shores. The latter received a BC2000 Book Award and was on the B.C. Bestseller list for 21 weeks. Scott's award-winning articles have appeared in most major Canadian magazines and newspapers and in publications in the U.S., Australia, New Zealand, and Hong Kong. A keen hiker and ocean kayaker and an enthusiastic B.C. historian and naturalist, he lives in Half Moon Bay, B.C. Please visit www.andrew-scott.ca.
- Author(s)Andrew Scott
- PublisherHarbour Publishing
- Date of Publication16/11/2009
- SubjectRegional History
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintHarbour Publishing
- Content Noteb/w photos & maps
- Weight1542 g
- Width255 mm
- Height180 mm
- Spine43 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.