All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn recent years, the lens of the media has narrowed issues of euthanasia and assisted suicide to a drama involving two players: Dr. Kevorkian and the law. This has left suffering patients and their families unrecognized and isolated when facing the most painful life decision. Here at last is a book that addresses the role of psychiatry in dealing with a major, controversial topic in American medicine today -- treatment decisions at the end of life. End-of-Life Decisions: A Psychosocial Perspective ackwledges and explores the role psychiatrists can play as advisers to the terminally ill and their loved ones. It describes the wide range of emotional and psychiatric issues faced by the patient, family, and physician that affect choices patients make to limit treatment or seek physician assistance in dying. A distinguished group of contributors, all of whom have extensive experience dealing with end-of-life issues in clinical practice, address topics that may t have been considered previously. From dealing with issues of terminal illnesses in children, to making difficult treatment decisions for patients with AIDS; from judging the competency of clinically depressed patients for making sound decisions, to understanding the influence of family dynamics, ecomic forces, and language differences on doctor-patient communication -- the book uses specific case studies and data to explore the role of professionals in end-of-life decisions. End-of-Life Decisions strikes a careful balance between the need for patient automy and the challenge to make well-formulated treatment decisions. This book will heighten modern medicine's and society's consciousness concerning the difficult challenges faced by patients and their families when making end-of-life decisions
- Author BiographyMaurice D. Steinberg, M.D., is Consultation-Liaison Psychiatrist, Associate Director of the C-L Psychiatry Service, and Director of Fellowship Programs in C-L Psychiatry at the Long Island Jewish Medical Center. He has been the Chairman of the APA's subcommittee on Psychiatric Aspects of Life Sustaining Technology since its inception in 1992, and Chairman of the Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine's Task Force on Bioethics and the Role of the Psychiatrist, since 1993. He was a member of the APA's committee on C-L Psychiatry and Primary Care Education from 1989 to 1995. Dr. Steinberg has chaired or presented papers at numerous symposia of the APA, the Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine, and the American Psychosomatic Society on issues of limiting medical treatment, physician-assisted suicide and bioethics, as well as teaching psychiatry to primary care physicians. Stuart J. Youngner, M.D., is Professor of Medicine, Psychiatry, and Biomedical Ethics at Case Western Reserve University and Director of the Clinical Ethics Progam at University Hospitals of Cleveland. Dr. Youngner has had a long interest in the interface between psychiatry and ethics in end-of-life care and has written and spoken widely on topics including: DNR decisions, clinical ethics consultation, advance directives, definitions of death, and ethical issues in organ retrieval and transplantation. He served as President on the Society for Bioethics Consultation from 1994-1997 and serves on the Board of Directors of the American Society for Bioethics and Humanities. Dr. Youngner is currently conducting research on end-of-life decisions in Cuba where he holds an appointment as Adjunct Professor at the Institute of Advance Medical Sciences in Havana.
- PublisherAmerican Psychiatric Association Publishing
- Date of Publication01/08/1998
- SubjectPsychiatry & Clinical Psychology: Professional
- Place of PublicationVA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAmerican Psychiatric Press Inc.
- Content Noteindex
- Weight635 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Edited byMaurice D. Steinberg,Stuart J. Youngner
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.88Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.