All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA biological crossroads where temperate gives way to tropical and east blends into west, Florida has over twenty-five primary habitat types, several of which are unique to the state. Within these richly varied natural communities lives an astonishing abundance of animals and plants, making Florida one of the United States' most biologically diverse regions. At the same time, sadly, Florida is also one of the country's most ecologically imperiled regions, second only to California in the number of its animals and plants that have been federally designated as endangered or threatened. This fully illustrated book is a comprehensive, yet convenient and easy-to-understand guide to Florida's endangered and threatened animals and the habitats that support them. Chris Scott covers all 71 species, subspecies, or populations of mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, crustaceans, insects, corals, and mollusks. His species accounts describe each animal's listed status, identifying characteristics, historical and current distribution, biology, current threats, and conservation efforts. To make the crucial link between animals and their habitats, Scott also includes extensive discussions of Florida's natural regions; human impacts on the environment, including habitat destruction, pollution, and the introduction of invasive, nnative species; and ongoing efforts to conserve and restore native plant and animal communities. With this wealth of information available in other single volume, everyone who cares about the natural environment can help preserve one of America's biological treasurehouses.
- Author BiographyChris Scott is a federal law enforcement officer, herpetologist, wildlife researcher, and professional nature photographer. A former Floridian, he now lives in the western United States.
- Author(s)Chris Scott
- PublisherUniversity of Texas Press
- Date of Publication30/11/2003
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Series TitleCorrie Herring Hooks Series
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 57
- Place of PublicationAustin, TX
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Texas Press
- Content Note65 color and 43 b&w illlus.
- Weight890 g
- Width151 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.21Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.