About this product
- DescriptionWhen Bobby Fischer died in January 2008, he left behind a confounding legacy. Everyone knew the basics of his life: he began as a brilliant youngster, then became the pride of American chess, then took a sharp turn, struggling with paraia and mental illness. But body truly understood him. What motivated him from such a young age, and what was the source of his remarkable intellect? How could a man so ambivalent about money and fame be so driven to succeed? What drew this man of Jewish descent to fulminate against Jews, and how was it that a mind so famously disciplined could unravel so completely? From his meteoric rise, to an utterly dominant prime, to his eventual descent into madness, the book draws upon hundreds of newly discovered documents and recordings, and numerous firsthand interviews conducted with those who knew Fischer best, to paint, for the very first time, a complete picture of one of the most enigmatic icons. This is the definitive account of a fascinating man and an extraordinary life, one that at last reconciles Fischer's deeply contradictory legacy and answers the question: 'Who was Bobby Fischer?'
- Author BiographyFrank Brady is the author of numerous biographies, including Bobby Fischer: Profile of a Prodigy, one of the bestselling chess books of all time. He is chairman of the Department of Mass Communication, Journalism, Television and Film at St. John's University, is the president of the Marshall Chess Club, and served as secretary of the United States Chess Federation from 2003 to 2005. He lives in New York.
- Author(s)Frank Brady
- PublisherLittle, Brown Book Group
- Date of Publication05/07/2012
- SubjectBiography: Sport
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note8pp B&W plate section
- Weight310 g
- Width136 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine32 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.43New
- AU $65.08Used
- AU $78.89New
- AU $105.79New
- AU $75.81Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.39Trending at AU $23.14
- AU $19.47Trending at AU $30.09
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.58
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $20.11
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $25.80
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.64
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.04
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.