All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe discovery of new molecules that function in neuronal communication can be viewed as a progression of steps beginning with the identification of the molecular structure, moving to the understanding of the mecha- nisms mediating the synaptic action, and to the appraisal of the involve- ment of the new molecules in various neuronal mechanisms, and finally reaching the evaluation of this molecule's role in brain function and the consequences that are triggered by its abrmalities. Enkephalins have followed such a pattern, and the present publication expresses the salient points of the last two phases in this succession. Enkephalins were discovered in December 1975; in addition to pain threshold regulation, their participation in other brain functions was soon ascertained. Perhaps, there are multiple recognition sites for multiple molecular forms of endogeus enkephalins; similarly to other transmitter recognition sites, these are coupled with ionic and nucleotide amplifying systems; thus, when activated, they can modify membrane funtion and ionic permeability of membranes. The present publication probes the current status of our kwledge concerning the consequences related to abrmalities in enkephalin storage, release, and synthesis. However, since our basic understanding of enkephalins is incomplete, the views reported should be considered to be in a state of flux.
- Author(s)Alexander G. Donald,Nandkumar S. Shah
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication17/02/2012
- SubjectManagement & Business: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note41 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight743 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1982
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.34New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $19.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.10Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.80Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.