All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDrawing on revealing, in-depth interviews, Cecilia Menjivar investigates the role that violence plays in the lives of Ladina women in eastern Guatemala, a little-visited and little-studied region. While much has been written on the subject of political violence in Guatemala, Menjivar turns to a different form of suffering - the violence embedded in institutions and in everyday life so familiar and routine that it is often t recognized as such. Rather than painting Guatemala (or even Latin America) as having a cultural propensity for rmalizing and accepting violence, Menjivar aims to develop an approach to examining structures of violence - profound inequality, exploitation and poverty, and gender ideologies that position women in vulnerable situations - grounded in women's experiences. In this way, her study provides a glimpse into the root causes of the increasing wave of feminicide in Guatemala, as well as in other Latin American countries, and offers observations relevant for understanding violence against women around the world today.
- Author BiographyCecilia Menjivar is Cowden Distinguished Professor of Sociology in the School of Social and Family Dynamics at Arizona State University. She is the author of Fragmented Ties: Salvadoran Immigrant Networks in America (UC Press), among other books. Menjivar won the Julian Samora Distinguished Career Award from the Latino/a Sociology section of the American Sociological Association.
- Author(s)Cecilia Menjivar
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication01/04/2011
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Note2 tables
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.03
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.19
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.67
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.72
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.45
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.