All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEnergy Development and Wildlife Conservation in Western North America offers a road map for securing future energy supply while safeguarding wildlife. Contributors show how science can help craft solutions to conflicts between wildlife and energy development by delineating core areas, identifying landscapes that support viable populations, and forecasting future development scenarios to aid in conservation design. This title frames the issue and introduces readers to major types of extraction. It quantifies the pace and extent of current and future energy development. It provides an ecological foundation for understanding cumulative impacts on wildlife species. It synthesizes information on the biological response of wildlife to development. It discusses energy infrastructure as a conduit for the spread of invasive species. It compares impacts of alternative energy to those of conventional development. The final section calls for a shift away from site-level management that has failed to mitigate cumulative impacts on wildlife populations toward broad-scale planning and implementation of conservation in priority landscapes. The book concludes by identifying ways that decision makers can remove roadblocks to conservation, and provides a blueprint for implementing conservation plans. Energy Development and Wildlife Conservation in Western North America is a must-have volume for elected officials, industry representatives, natural resource managers, conservation groups, and the public seeking to promote energy independence while at the same time protecting wildlife.
- Author BiographyDavid Naugle is an associate professor and applied landscape ecologist in the Wildlife Biology Program, University of Montana, Missoula.
- PublisherIsland Press
- Date of Publication28/04/2011
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIsland Press
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps
- Weight580 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byDavid E. Naugle
- Edition Statement2nd
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.20
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.