All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn his dual role of historian and participating observer, music critic and journalist Simon Reylds writes what is considered by many to be both his most ambitious work and the best book about rave music and dance culture. From the origins of dance culture with sophisticated Detroit tech, hedonistic Chicago house, and New York s bacchanal garage music to the dawn of acid house and rave in the United Kingdom in the late 1980s and the export of Balearic culture from Ibiza, Reylds documents the explosion of this new lifestyle fueled by drugs and a music revolution. Detailed are some of the craziest and most unsettling movements: hardcore British Madchester, pirate radio, polyrhythmic jungle, Belgian gabber, trip-hop, trance, and postrave genres, including dubstep and EDM. The book contains interviews with some of the music scene s most instrumental players, such as Juan Atkins, Carl Craig, DJ Shadow, Goldie, Richie Hawtin, Richard D. James of Aphex Twin, Derrick May, Jeff Mills, Paul Oakenfold, Tricky, and others. Some of the most extreme and hardcore music from the last 30 years is documented in this goldmine of underground treasure.
- Author BiographySimon Reynolds is a British music critic and journalist well known for his writings on electronic dance music. He has contributed to the Guardian, Melody Maker, the New York Times, Rolling Stone, Spin, and the Village Voice, among other publications. He is the author of Blissed Out: The Raptures of Rock, Bring the Noise: 20 Years of Writing about Hip Rock and Hip Hop, Retromania: Pop Culture s Addiction to Its Own Past, Rip It Up and Start Again: Postpunk 1978 1984, and Totally Wired: Post-Punk Interviews and Overviews, and the coauthor of The Sex Revolts: Gender, Rebellion, and Rock N Roll. He lives in Los Angeles.
- Author(s)Simon Reynolds
- Date of Publication01/06/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Weight975 g
- Width147 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine46 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.