All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe scale and horror of recent terror attacks and the panic which ensued throughout the world has forced policy-makers and international lawyers to re-examine international legal tools available to enforce rms against terrorism. The magnitude of the attacks, the modalities of the operations, the profiles of the terrorists and the transnational structure of some terrorist organisations all cast doubt on the adequacy of the existing political and legal framework to fight terrorism. Due to this perception, governments have increased the intensity of measures to combat terrorist activities such as using military force against States sponsoring terrorism, freezing assets of terrorist organizations, and promulgating national security measures designed to protect the State against would be terrorists. This book comprehensively analyses the suitability of existing international legal tools to enforce rules prohibiting terrorism. Contributions from leading experts in international law examine, among others, questions relating to the proper role of international law in combating terrorism, the legality of covert operations against terrorism, whether the law of armed conflict can be applied to the war against terror , domestic anti-terror laws and their compatibility with human rights standards, and how to regulate the internet to prevent terrorist usage. In addition, the ways in which States can co-operate together to more effectively investigate terrorist infrastructures and apprehend suspects is focused upon. The interplay between different layers of legal authority at international, regional and domestic levels is also subject to review. This thorough examination of the array of legal means at the international community's disposal to enforce rms against terrorism will allow readers to appreciate the real challenges that terrorism and the responses to it pose to the international legal system.
- Author BiographyAndrea Bianchi is Professor of International Law at The Graduate Institute of International Studies, Geneva and Professor at the Catholic University, Milan.
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication15/03/2004
- SubjectInternational Law: Professional
- Series TitleStudies in International Law
- Series Part/Volume Number4
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2004
- ImprintHart Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight973 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Edited byAndrea Bianchi
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.30
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.75
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.87
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.87
- AU $36.67Trending at AU $37.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.