All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat should we do with a literary work? Is it best to become immersed in a vel or poem, or is our job to objectively dissect it? Should we consult literature as a source of kwledge or wisdom, or keenly interrogate its designs upon us? Do we excavate the text as an historical artifact, or surrender to its aesthetic qualities? Balancing foundational topics with new developments, Engagements with Close Reading offers an accessible introduction to how prominent critics have approached the task of literary reading. This book will help students * learn different methods for close reading * perform a close analysis of an unfamiliar text * articulate meaningful responses Beginning with the New Critics and recent argument for a return to formalism, the book tracks the reactions of reader-response critics and phemelogists, and concludes with ethical criticism's claim for the value of literary reading to our moral lives. Rich in literary examples, most reprinted in full, each chapter models practical ways for students to debate the pros and cons of objective and subjective criticism. In the final chapter, five distinguished critics shed light on the pleasures and difficulties of close reading in their engagements with poetry and fiction. In the wake of cultural studies and historicism, Engagements with Close Reading encourages us to bring our eyes back to the words on the page, inviting students and instructors to puzzle out the motives, high stakes, limitations, and rewards of the literary encounter under the pressure of this beleaguered and persistent methodology.
- Author BiographyAnnette Federico is Professor of English at James Madison University, USA.
- Author(s)Annette Federico
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication19/10/2015
- SubjectLiterary Studies: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleRoutledge Engagements with Literature
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Weight332 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.02Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.