All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor more than four decades, engagement has been the bedrock of Canada's policy toward China, as Ottawa has attempted to assist China's entry into the international system and advance a commercial agenda. More than just high policy, engagement has also been a recurrent narrative that sees changing China as a moral enterprise as important as trade and diplomacy. As global China's ecomic and diplomatic reach has expanded, policy makers in Ottawa have t fashioned an effective response. They are failing to produce a compelling strategy that addresses the power shift underway and growing public anxiety about China at home. Engaging China is a concise account of the evolution and state of the Canadian approach to China, its achievements, disappointments, and current dilemmas. Written by Paul Evans, professor at the Institute of Asian Research at the University of British Columbia and former head of the Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada, the volume inaugurates the UTP Insights series - books that take on the issues crucial to understanding our world and Canada's place within it. Evans's assessment of the evolution of Canada's China policy speaks to the intellectual history of the idea of engagement, and assesses its internal contradictions and possibilities. He provides the elements of a comprehensive and strategic approach to China's central role in the most important power shift in the global order since World War II.
- Author BiographyPaul Evans teaches contemporary Asian affairs at the University of British Columbia.
- Author(s)Paul Evans
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication14/04/2014
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Series TitleUTP Insights
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Content Note5 graphs
- Weight340 g
- Width160 mm
- Height238 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.46
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $91.12
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.60
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $107.45
- AU $99.90Trending at AU $101.68
- AU $95.00Trending at AU $99.21
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.