All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.06
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
About this product
- DescriptionTravelling around England is in many senses a journey back in time. On all sides, and sometimes even under the road or footpath itself, there are fragments of the ancient past side by side with the clutter of the modern world. Medieval villages, castles, ancient churches, and Roman villas are commonplace and take us back to the time of Christ. Far older, yet equally abundant, are the barrows, hillforts, stone circles, camps, standing stones, trackways, and other relics of prehistoric times that have survived for several thousand years. This Guide is all about these ancient remains: the prehistoric, Roman, and medieval sites which date from the time between the first appearance of people in what we w call England during the last Ice Age and the end of medieval times around 1600 AD.
- Author BiographyTimothy Darvill is Professor of Archaeology in the School of Conservation Sciences at Bournemouth University. The author of over a dozen books, including Prehistoric Britain (Routledge, 1998) and Prehistoric Britain from the Air (CUP, 1996), he has served as Chairman of the Institute of Field Archaeologists and a Member of the Council of the National Trust. Jane Timby is a freelance arcaheological consultant specializing in later prehistoric, Roman, and Saxon pottery. She has published numerous articles and specialist studies and was the author of The Anglo-Saxon Cemetery at Empingham II, Rutland (Oxbow Books, 1996) and Excavations at Kingscote and Wycomb, Gloucestershire (Cotswold Archaeological Trust, 1998). Paul Stamper is an Inspector of Ancient Monuments for English Heritage, working in the west midlands. Formerly he was involved with the compilation of the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens in England. Before 1993 he was an editor with the Victoria County History of Shropshire. He has published widely on landscape history, and has served as Secretary of the Society for Medieval Archaeology.
- Author(s)Jane Timby,Paul Stamper,Timothy Darvill
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication14/03/2002
- SubjectAncient History
- Series TitleOxford Archaeological Guides
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford Paperbacks
- Content Notenumerous maps, plans, line drawings and halftones
- Weight639 g
- Width139 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine32 mm
- Format DetailsVinyl
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.