English Cathedral Music and Liturgy in the Twentieth Century by Martin Thomas (Hardback, 2015)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $117.99Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $175.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book examines the stylistic development of English cathedral music during a period of liturgical upheaval, looking at the attitudes of cathedral clergy, liturgists, composers, leading church music figures and organisations to music and liturgy. Arguments that were advanced for retaining an archaic style in cathedral music are considered, including the linking of musical style with liturgical language, the recommending of a subservient role for music in the liturgy, and the development of a language of fittingness to describe church music. The roles of the RSCM and other influential bodies are explored. Martin Thomas draws on many sources: the libraries and archives of English cathedrals; contemporary press coverage and the records of church music bodies; publishing practices; secondary literature; and the music itself. Concluding that an arresting of development in English cathedral music has prevented appropriate influences from secular music being felt, Thomas contrasts this with how cathedrals have often successfully and dynamically engaged with the world of the visual arts, particularly in painting and sculpture. Presenting implications for all deminations and for patronage of the arts by churches, and the place of musical aesthetics in the planning of liturgy, this book offers an important resource for music, theology, liturgy students and ministry teams worldwide.
- Author BiographyThe Revd Dr Martin Thomas is a former Canon Precentor of St Edmundsbury Cathedral and a Church of England parish priest and academic. He holds first class degrees in Music (Edinburgh) and Theology (Oxford) and completed his PhD thesis at UEA. He has contributed many articles to scholarly and popular journals including Anglican and Episcopal History; The Church of England Newspaper; In Illo Tempore; Cathedral Music; and Art and Christian Enquiry. He also provided the 'Music' chapter for a recent history of Wymondham Abbey and edited Five Ways of the Cross.
- Author(s)Martin Thomas
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication28/05/2015
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content NoteIncludes 20 music examples
- Weight692 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.02Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.