All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEnglish Graphic is a book of essays on the subject of illustration, with the focus entirely on English artists using graphic media; drawings, prints and watercolours. The pieces are largely drawn from Tom Lubbock's weekly Great Works column for the Independent, with some longer pieces originally published as reviews or catalogue essays. The historical span of the book is broad - from the Uffington White Horse to the Winchester Psalter Hellmouth to Harry Beck's London Underground Map and beyond. The high point of English Graphic art in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century makes up the heart of the book, with Fuseli, Blake, Bewick and Palmer all the subject of extended essays. The fifty or so images range from the visionary to the empirical, from folk art to caricature. Connecting and overlapping ideas on line and shape run through the book; maps, islands, clouds, swarms, wombs, skins, dots, contours and boundaries. Energetic, coherent and strange, English Graphic presents an electrical storm of ideas and illuminations provocatively argued by one of our most brilliant writers on art.
- Author BiographyTOM LUBBOCK, critic and illustrator, was the chief art critic of the Independent from 1997 until his death in 2011. He is the author of Great Works and Until Further Notice, I Am Alive. as well as major catalogue essays on Goya, Thomas Bewick and Ian Hamilton Finlay. His illustrations, mainly done in collage, appeared every Saturday on the editorial page of the Independent between 1999 and 2004. His weekly Great Works column, from which some of these essays are taken, ran between 2005 and 2010. JAMIE McKENDRICK is the author of five collections of poetry including The Marble Fly (1997), winner of the Forward Poetry Prize; Ink Stone (2003), which was shortlisted for the 2003 T. S. Eliot Prize and the 2003 Whitbread Poetry Award; and Crocodiles & Obelisks (2007), shortlisted for the Forward Prize. He is editor of 20th-Century Italian Poems (2004) and his translations of the poetry of Valerio Magrelli, The Embrace (2009), was awarded the Weidenfeld Translation prize for 2010.
- Author(s)Tom Lubbock
- PublisherFrances Lincoln Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication18/10/2012
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFrances Lincoln Publishers Ltd
- Content Note50 illustrations in colour and b/w
- Weight794 g
- Width165 mm
- Height218 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Introduction byJamie McKendrick
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $29.85Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.77Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.