All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book explores the sociolinguistic forces which affect language change. Many attempts have been made to use sociolinguistics to interpret historical linguistic change but the theory has rarely been applied consistently. This textbook allows students to develop a deeper understanding of both sociolinguistics and historical linguistics. It discusses both the central variationist tendencies present in language change and the macrosociolinguistic forces which act upon all speakers and their language. Chapters investigate the political, cultural and ecomic forces which affect a society's use of and views on language; language contact, language standardisation and linguistic attrition are also covered. The discussion is illustrated throughout by apposite examples from the history of English. The volume enables students to develop a deeper understanding of both sociolinguistics and historical linguistics; it is also be useful as a primer for postgraduate study in the subjects covered. It takes a nlinear approach to encourage thematic thinking. It combines variationist sociolinguistics with analysis of the position of language in society. It discusses histories of English outside the Anglo-American axis to give a broader sense of how English has developed in different parts of the world.
- Author BiographyRobert McColl Millar is Senior Lecturer in linguistics at the University of Aberdeen. He has published widely on topics relating to the language use of northern Scotland, as well as on language change and the sociology of language.
- Author(s)Robert McColl Millar
- PublisherEdinburgh University Press
- Date of Publication19/06/2012
- Series TitleEdinburgh Textbooks on the English Language - Advanced
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEdinburgh University Press
- Content Noteblack & white tables, figures
- Weight318 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $43.76
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.25
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.