All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe spread and globalisation of English has proved to be of interest in the study of diverse linguistic phemena. From a methodological perspective, the study of Englishes poses a number of challenges, and attempts have been made to address these in corpus linguistics, sociolinguistic fieldwork and variationist studies. As such, this volume contributes to this increasingly fashionable, but still somewhat under-explored field of research by drawing together ideas from different frameworks and approaches dealing with English today. The different chapters reflect current trends in English linguistics research, and can be characterized broadly in terms of the study of the different diatopic and diastratic varieties of English, and the adoption of various theoretical and methodological perspectives. The chapters deal with the globalisation of English in itself and with the origin, development and status of varieties of English, often seen as a testing ground for different research traditions, including typological linguistics, second language acquisition, contact linguistics and sociolinguistics.
- Author BiographyCristina Suarez-Gomez is Senior Lecturer of English Linguistics at the University of the Balearic Islands. Her main areas of research are English historical syntax, English historical sociolinguistics, dialectal variation in English, from both synchronic and diachronic perspectives, and morphosyntactic variation in World Englishes. Elena Seoane is Associate Professor of English Linguistics at the University of Vigo. Her main research interests are grammaticalisation theory, English historical sociolinguistics, word order changes in early English, the development of scientific discourse, and morphosyntactic variation in World Englishes. Cristina Suarez-Gomez and Elena Seoane both belong to the research group ViEW (Variation in English Worldwide).
- PublisherCambridge Scholars Publishing
- Date of Publication01/12/2015
- Place of PublicationNewcastle upon Tyne
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge Scholars Publishing
- Weight454 g
- Width148 mm
- Height212 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byCristina Suarez-Gomez,Elena Seoane
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
- Edition Statement1st Unabridged
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.64New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $19.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.80Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.