Engraved Prints of Texas, 1554-1900 by Robin Brandt Hutchison, Mavis P. Kelsey (Hardback, 2005)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $135.00Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $26.93+ AU $25.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor centuries Texas has fired the imagination of artists as well as explorers and settlers. Before modern photography, engravings were the principal type of illustration used by artists to portray images of the state. Now, in this extensive catalogue, authors Mavis P. Kelsey, Sr., and Robin Brandt Hutchison have surveyed all engraved illustrations about Texas published before 1900. Engraved Prints of Texas, 1554-1900 presents the whole range of early Texas history as portrayed in published engravings: from the first printed representation of a buffalo in 1554 to a 1900 view of the University of Texas Medical School in Galveston. Entries include information on more than 2,000 engravings, 470 of which are illustrated in this volume. Presented chrologically by century and decade of publication, each chapter features a brief introduction to the historical background of the era, highlighting key illustrations and placing the art within the context of major events of the period. Several topical discussions address subjects that span decades or recur as pervasive themes in illustration. Historians, teachers, and scholars will find this catalogue a useful reference for locating pictorial representations of particular events, subjects, or persons. It is an indispensable source for lovers of Texas history and an important contribution to preserving the visual record.
- Author BiographyMavis P. Kelsey, Sr., is a fifth-generation Texan and a 1932 graduate of Texas A&M University who has spent a lifetime collecting rare books, prints, and paintings of early America. He has written extensively on art, history, genealogy, and travel, including two previous books published by Texas A&M University Press - The Courthouses of Texas and Twentieth-Century Doctor. He is a longtime resident of Houston. Robin Brandt Hutchison holds a Master's degree from Texas A&M University. She is an archivist in the Cushing Memorial Library and Archives, where she has primary curatorial responsibility for the Mary and Mavis P. Kelsey Collection of Americana and Art. She lives in College Station, Texas.
- Author(s)Mavis P. Kelsey,Robin Brandt Hutchison
- PublisherTexas A & M University Press
- Date of Publication31/03/2005
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleSara and John Lindsey Series in the Arts and Humanities
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 9
- Place of PublicationCollege Station
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTexas A & M University Press
- Content Note471 b/w illustrations, bibliography, index
- Weight1928 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Introduction byRon Tyler
- Foreword byDonald H. Dyal
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.02Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.